Monday, March 24, 2008

Solitary Song

This poem was found on a web blog for Black Poets. Think about the following questions as you read it:
1) Who is the author?
2) Who is 'you' in the poem?
3) Is the author happy with his/her current situation?

Solitary Song


You cage me up
Like a wild animal
Claiming to
Rehabilitate me
Then wonder why
I can’t find a job
Wonder why
I’m crazier than
When I went in
Why not educate me
Before I break the law
Why not give me opportunities
Before I turn to a life of crime
Strike one
Strike two
Strike three
Now I’m caged up for life
A life wasted
A life lost forever
Here I sit
Wondering who I could have been
All the things I could have done
If you had just given me the chance
You cage me up
And wonder why I
Can’t fly
When I’m set free
Sitting here looking at
My momma
My wife
My daughter
Through a glass plate
Trying to feel like a man
Not a wild beast
Waiting for you
To rehabilitate me

Poem: Solitary Song [Community] - nicholldenice - ndm01@bc.edu

http://homepages.wmich.edu/~d2baker/monsterplans2.htm

No comments: